.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Writing Ruminations

Writing is such an internal process. Why not make those private ruminations public? This is how stories take shape and grow.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon, United States

I've been supporting myself as a writer for many years and am watching the changes in the publishing world with fascination. For me, sharing the craft, teaching, is as creatively satisfying as the writing process itself.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Greetings from Ophiuchus

I always keep an eye out for 'things new' in the universe. Recently, I sold a story to Asimov's Magazine; Breeze from the Stars, that will be out sometime in the next year, I assume. And it features a strange effect on people who are born on the orbital platforms under the sign of 'Ophiuchus' a zodiac sign that was dropped from our zodiac a long time ago. A 'wind from the stars' is actually funneled down into our solar system from that direction, and I did some SFnal things with it. Sorry, you'll have to read the story to find out. :-) BUT...today, as I read the 'space news' what do I see? Voyager I is out there, in the direction of Ophiuchus, near the boundary of the 'heliosheath' the 'skin' around our solar system formed as the solar wind slows down. The magnetic turbulence of that sheath scatters a lot of cosmic radation that we don't want to experience down here. But lo, potholes exist in that sheath. And good old trustworthy Voyager I, our early Engerizer Bunny' is finding interesting anomalies out there. Such as cosmic radiation with no apparent source. And that breeze from the stars? Well, Voyager will be inside that heliosheath for another ten years or so...so stay tuned for further events.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I am fortunate enough to have a pretty good idea about this story, but I will be quite interested to read the final version. What I want to know is how you manage to get the real world to help out with marketing like that?? Us aspiring writers would also like to have an in with the powers that be. --gk

5:11 PM  
Blogger Mary Rosenblum said...

It's better, Gary, a bit more fleshed out. And wasn't that a neat trick, having Voyager bring Ophiuchus into the public awareness like that. :-)

Mary

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home