.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Writing Ruminations

Writing is such an internal process. Why not make those private ruminations public? This is how stories take shape and grow.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon, United States

I've been supporting myself as a writer for many years and am watching the changes in the publishing world with fascination. For me, sharing the craft, teaching, is as creatively satisfying as the writing process itself.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Water Rites Ships

I am thrilled. My copies of Water Rites arrived in the mail yesterday and I'm just so pleased with this book. I first started the story that became The Drylands as three novelettes that were published in Asimov's magazine. These stories involved three of the four main characters in what became the novel, and began the large story arc that concluded at the end of The Drylands. But the novel itself only covered the final 2/3 of that story arc. While I worked in allusions to the missing portion as backstory, I felt that the story wasn't quite complete without that earlier segment.

Well, now it's complete. :-) That early part of the story expands and deepens the complete story considerably. And of course, the entire story is better. I am a much stronger writer now, and I had a much deeper comprehension of where we're going right now, in terms of our climate future.

It has been a long time coming, but I am thrilled to see all the parts collected together in one book. Thank you, Patrick Swenson, for a marvelous opportunity. The whole here is certainly greater than the sum of its parts. You can buy it from Fairwood Press http://www.fairwoodpress.com/ Just click on the 'catalogue' link and then 'novels'.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh darn, it took me three whole hours (That's if I have the time difference figured right.) to notice this post and get my order in. --gk

12:14 PM  
Blogger Mary Rosenblum said...

I'm laughing, Gary. I don't think you're figuring your time right. More like 'instantaneously!'

I hope you enjoy it. :-)

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home