.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Writing Ruminations

Writing is such an internal process. Why not make those private ruminations public? This is how stories take shape and grow.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon, United States

I've been supporting myself as a writer for many years and am watching the changes in the publishing world with fascination. For me, sharing the craft, teaching, is as creatively satisfying as the writing process itself.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cattle Prints


Well, I've been playing hooky, doing what I love to do, which is to work stock with my dogs. I spent last weekend at a cattle clinic with my puppy, Annie. (Well, she's 2 but she's still a puppy, although growing up real fast now!). She was a real lady, but those big steers were by golly going to do what she said! I like her attitude. Dogs are my antidote to the realities of publishing with its foundation on sales numbers. Where 'good' or 'bad' doesn't count as much as 'popular', performance dog work puts me in an arena where how well the dog and I communicate, how well we have trained, generates the end result. If we do a bad job, we get a train wreck. If we do a good job, we do a good job. No politics, sales figures, or popular fads count. It's a very nice, very straightforward universe...if a bit muddy at times. (You should have seen Miss Annie after a few 'down's!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home