.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Writing Ruminations

Writing is such an internal process. Why not make those private ruminations public? This is how stories take shape and grow.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon, United States

I've been supporting myself as a writer for many years and am watching the changes in the publishing world with fascination. For me, sharing the craft, teaching, is as creatively satisfying as the writing process itself.

Monday, March 12, 2007

New Lambs and GMO Crop Circles



I have discovered how to determine the start of my lambing season with pinpoint accuracy. All I need to do is to plan on attending a SF con in the spring and the ewes will start lambing that weekend. They did it to me last year as I packed for Norwescon. So why was I suprised to hurry down to the barn to feed, Saturday morning, (with a 10 AM writers workshop to run) only to find a missing ewe.... Silly me to think that last year was an isolated phenomenon. Our little boy in the picture is still a bit confused by this big strange place, but he and mom were fine, so I hurried off to my conference. I even got there on time. (He's a St. Croix in case you're wondering. That's a hair sheep breed).

Potlatch was great. It's a small, local gathering of writers and readers, mostly for visiting and raising money for Clarion West with an auction of Cool Stuff. One panel at a time, and the panels tend to be deeper than your average convention panel. I joined Marilyn Holt and Amy Thompson (writers both) to talk about the interconnected web between global warming, global commerce, and agriculture. It was a good panel. We tried to take it beyond the Hollywood 'sky is falling' themes.

But lest we forget our effect on our alien neighbors, (You know, the ones that didn't land at Area 51), Gary Kearney was good enough to remind me that when we mess around with that wheat DNA it's not just Europe who rejects our GMO crops! You should go see what the aliens have to say about it:

http://www.weeklyworldinquisitor.com:80/aliens/index.php?pagemode=display&ref=31&PHPSESSID=11ddf73a2029ba9b0dc12d1b329cd740

Thanks, Gary! I'll surely have to bring this up at my next panel on genetically modified foods!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mary
I've been reading your blogs all evening. You're a fascinating lady and you've already broadened my horizons. I'm hoping I'll be fortunate enough to have you as my teacher, so tonight's homework is a one-sided 'get acquainted' time. I'm happy to meet you, Ms. Mary.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Mary Rosenblum said...

Hi, Sharon. I'm looking forward to working with you! Nice to meet you.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved the “Patternmaster” series by Octavia Bulter, in particular “Clay's Ark” but I never met her, nor did I get the chance to thank her.

I did get the chance to thank Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle and thank them for their works


Now, I get the chance to thank you.. I found this blog, quite by mistake.. you were not anywhere on the radar screen as I was searching for a completely different blog...

Before my eyes let me down, I found “Drylands”... I throughly enjoyed it (you nailed present day problems)-- Thank you

recently I have purchased “Hide and Seek” in ebook form.. this allows me to increase the font so that it is readable for me.. thank you for it...

Are there any other plans for more “ebooks”...

hope you do not mind if I stop by once in a while...

Steve Porter

9:06 AM  
Blogger Mary Rosenblum said...

Hi, Steve! I'm so pleased that you like Hide and Seek. I should make my rather extensive archive of published short fiction available in e-format. I've been telling myself I should do that -- put it up on Fictionwise, perhaps. I'll move that to the front burner, okay? Glad you enjoyed it. Please drop by any time!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home